Good to know
- Free Pondus the Penguin money box.
- Put money in or take it out at any of our branches.
- Adults, who open the account for the benefit of the child, can manage the account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with eBanking or Mobile Bank app.
- Take money out any time. Limits may apply depending on the service you are using.
Need to know
- Only for children aged 10 or under.
- Choose to open your Junior Savings Account in either:
- an adult’s name on behalf of the child, if they’re between 0 and 10; or
- the child’s name if they’re between 7 and 10.
- Open the account with as little as £1.
Ready to open a Junior Savings Account?
You can apply online if:
- you're the parent or legal guardian of the child;
- you want to open an account in your name for the benefit of the child;
- you have an active personal account with Danske Bank; and
- the child is aged 10 or under and living in Northern Ireland.
Before you start, please have a picture of the child’s ID saved on your computer or phone, ready to upload.
- This can be a birth certificate, a passport or an adoption certificate.
- You can upload a photo of the ID, as long as it’s clear, easy for us to read and we can see all four corners of the document.
- At the end of this application there will be a link to upload the child’s ID.
You can also open an account in any Danske branch. To make an appointment, call us on 0800 660 033. (Phone lines are open between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday.)
Take your penguin home
Pondus loves coins - big or small, he'll take them all.
You can give him as much or as little money as you like.
When he's full, treat yourself to something special. Or bring the coins into your local Danske Bank branch.
Did you know?
Pondus is named after a real penguin that lived in Copenhagen Zoo in the 1960s. Pondus, wearing a red scarf, appeared in a series of children's books and has been used as Danske Bank's moneybox mascot since 1967. Pondus swam over to Northern Ireland in 2009, and if you have a Junior Savings Account, you'll get to take him home.