Whether it's a card for a brand new account, a renewal or a replacement, when you receive your new debit or credit card, you must activate it before you can use it in shops or online.
If we have your mobile number, we’ll text you when your new card’s in the post. Here’s how to activate it when it arrives:
- Use it to buy something in a shop with Chip & PIN, at a cash machine or in your local Post Office. Just remember to use the correct PIN. This will also activate contactless on the card.
- Log on to our Mobile Bank app, tap 'Cards' and choose the card you want to activate. You’ll also be able to view your PIN while you’re there.
- Log on to eBanking and select 'Cards and currency' then ' Card overview'. Click the arrow beside the card you want to activate.
Activating Contactless payments
The contactless function is deactivated in all cards in order to ensure added protection when the card is being delivered. In order to activate the contactless functionality, you must firstly insert your card and enter your PIN when making a purchase in store and this will activate contactless. This is in addition to activating the card itself if using the Mobile Bank or eBanking activation methods above.
Please be aware that when using contactless as a method of payment, an additional card security feature means that occasionally you will be asked to insert your card into the terminal and enter the PIN in order to complete a transaction. Find more information on contactless limits and changing your contactless limit.
Using Apple Pay, Google Pay or other providers: If you receive a replacement card and had previously set up your debit or credit card to use through Apple Pay or Google Pay, your card will automatically update within your online wallet. You will, however, need to ensure you have activated the physical card before you will be able to make contactless payments using your mobile device or smart watch.
Your card PIN
If you use our Mobile Bank app:
- You can view your PIN in the app anytime
- If you have ordered a new or replacement card, with a new PIN, you can view this in the app the day after the card is ordered. You won't receive a PIN letter in the post if you use the app
- For renewal or replacement cards only, your PIN will remain unchanged
To view your PIN on the Mobile Bank app:
- Log on to the App
- Tap the ‘Cards’ option along the top menu
- Select the card you wish to view the PIN for (if more than one card is available)
- Tap ‘view PIN’.
- Enter your passcode which you use to log on to the Mobile Bank app.
- Press ‘Hold to see PIN’ to reveal your 4 digit card PIN.
If you don’t use the Mobile Bank app, your PIN will be sent by letter and should arrive within 3-5 days of receiving your debit or credit card.