How can documentary collections help your business?
- Goods are shipped to you without any guarantee of payment
- A payment or commitment to pay is made after the goods have been shipped
- You retain control over the payment decision and can decide not to accept or pay the collection
- No banking facilities are required unless the supplier requests that an accepted bill of exchange be guaranteed by your bank
- It is a simple and flexible method of settling a trade debt through the international banking system
What is the process for documentary collections?
- A contract is agreed between the importer and exporter stating the method of payment is a documentary collection.
- The exporter ships the goods and presents the documents, for example bills of lading and invoices, to their bank with instructions for collection of payment.
- The exporter's bank sends the documents and the collection instructions to the importer's bank.
- The importer’s bank will notify the importer that they have received the documents and will request payment on immediate presentation of the collection (sight payment) or on the importer's acceptance of a Bill of Exchange (draft) agreeing to pay an agreed amount on a determinable future date (termed payment).
- The importer authorises payment and their bank will then send the payment to the exporter’s bank.
Collections are subject to The Uniform Rules for Collections issued by the International Chamber of Commerce.
Whether we provide credit depends on your circumstances, and you must be 18 or over. Lending terms and conditions apply.
You may need to provide security.
Please refer to our Fees and service charges explained – foreign payments leaflet for important information on the Trade Finance charges.
We're here to help
We have a team of specialists, skilled at making more possible for local businesses through our trade finance solutions.
Please note you must be an existing Danske Bank business customer to use our import collections.
If you are an existing Trade Finance customer, you can speak to one of our Trade Finance specialists
Telephone: 028 9004 8133
Calls may be recorded. Lines are open between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday except for bank holidays or other holidays in Northern Ireland when the bank is not open for business.